Wednesday 11 October 2006

Horsham Beer Festival 30th September - 1st October 2006

I worked behind the bar at this excellent annual event and got to taste some interesting and local beers.

Of course my favourite was the Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild (6.0%), which is, in my humble opinion, one of the best beers created by man (or should that be woman?!). What a stunning pint! I encourage anyone reading this not familiar with the beer to go check it out. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Except obviously I'd prefer it if you didn't drink too much of it in Horsham because that way there'll be more left for me.

Other beers of note at the festival this year included Rebellion Red (4.7%), a new find for me. I've tried the Blonde before (beautiful from the cask, forget it in bottles) and this was possibly even better.

The two beers from Surrey Hills brewery were very popular and pretty nice. Shere Drop at 4.2% was a very drinkable light coloured beer with a good flavour. The Gilt Complex (4.6%) which replaced it was a delicious bitter.


Entertainment was provided by the Broadwood morris men and their musicians.

1 comment:

  1. There is actually an addendum to this story, from mid-afternoon on the Sunday:

    The friend I was serving with and I gave ourselves the task of drinking the cask of Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild, one of the best beers in the world.

    When it began to run out we made sure that we got to drink the rest of it...

    Then at the end of the festival we went out in Horsham for a few beers. A small bottle of Old Speckled Hen at that horrid big pub in the centre of town (the Crown) as it was the best they could do.

    Then we went to the Malt Shovel (used to be called the Mitchell Arms) and had a pint of some unheard-of 4.4% beer... then a pint of Ringwood Old Thumper...

    Then we stumbled out onto the streets, just about holding each other up! and met a man wearing pink lipstick. Somehow I found my way to the station and onto a train, heading for Clapham Junction.

    However I woke up at Victoria. I wasn't too worried as it's only a short trip back to CJ. No problem.

    Except I woke up in Crawley. I jumped off the train and crossed the platform and got on the next train. Lucky it was London-bound as I don't think I checked.

    So then I woke up again in Victoria. Damn. I stayed on the train and managed to stay awake back to CJ and got off the train.

    I then had to wait AGES for my bus home. Once on it I was very careful not to fall alseep.

    Meanwhile my friend reports he went for an all-you-can-eat Chinese, was violently sick "because I got such terrible hiccups" and then wandered round Horsham drinking vodka.

    If I'd known I'd be in Crawley two hours later I could have stayed for the Chinese!!!

    I think there's a moral to this story, I just haven't worked out what it is yet.

    ReplyDelete