Thursday 11 January 2007

The White Horse, Maplehurst, Horsham 5th January 2007

This was a day for cider rather than beer as we went down to JB's orchard to wassail the apple trees. Well I didn't because my foot was still sore, but I made sure I got to sample some of the cider anyway. I made for the dry, this having been the best one last year. It was serious and strong, very meaty and not for the faint-hearted. Lovely! I quickly retired to the local pub as I wasn't up to walking to the orchard and hitting trees with sticks.

White Star Crafty Shag (4.1%): This was a popular choice so I was able to try someone else's. Which is just as well because it was served cloudy and was fairly flavourless with a strong tangy taste. I think I'd have taken it back if it had been mine.
King's Merry Ale (6.5%): I have to say again I'm pleased this wasn't mine. The only way I can describe it is to say it was like Guinness made for small children. Ridiculously sweet stout. Yuck.
Hepworth Pullman's First Class Ale (4.2%): Pleasant beer but without a distinctive flavour. On balance, I was very pleased I chose it.

There were a couple of other beers available but what with the cider I drank (yes, ok, I had three pints and it was about 9%) I didn't think any more beer was a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment